Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Strip that Wallpaper

When we built our home in 1991, wallpaper was extremely popular. We put it in three of the bathrooms, the dining room, the kitchen and we put borders in the kids' bedrooms. I had dealt with wallpaper that was difficult to strip in a former home. When I tried to pull it off, I actually pulled off part of the wall! So, I made sure to tell everyone involved to prime the walls first. I told the builder, the painter, the wallpaper people. Everybody!

Naturally, years later I tried to strip the borders off and found the wall coming down, too. Apparently, no one had listed to me. Two years ago, I wanted to get rid of the wallpaper in the kitchen, and I finally had to paint over the paper. A half bath last year reduced me to decorating tears, until I stumbled upon a stripping method. I had tried all the gels and sprays, as well as steaming, and I was still scraping it off an inch at a time. Then I learned about using fabric softener. Yes, fabric softener. Pour it in a spray bottle, and you can go to town stripping that paper. Plus, it smells good!

No comments: